Saturday, October 18, 2008

Get a sense of humor.

I'll start this blog off with a link to a video, titled "Beached Whale" (commonly referred to as "Beached As Bro"). This video takes the mickey out of New Zealand accents.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

On the youtube page that I got it from, some people took it the wrong way, and a race war has arisen between some angry New Zealanders, and some (mainly Australian) others. SERIOUSLY?!

I'm quite sure the creators of this video DID NOT mean any harm. I'm sure they didn't mean to be racist. It's obvious that they were doing it for a laugh, nothing else.

It seems, these days, that the human race has become so self-absorbed, so politically correct, that we are unable to have a laugh at our own expense. I'm sure you could laugh all you want if someone fell over, or a cartoon program depicted the stereotypical speech and mannerisms of another nationality - all in good humor, that is - then you'd see no problems. Yet, if it's you that's being laughed at, everything's wrong with it. 

Of course, this is all in context, and there are times in which you shouldn't laugh at someone's expense, there are times to be serious. However, there are times when you should laugh. There are times when you should think, "ok, that WAS funny. I may have looked a little silly, but I can understand why people are laughing"

Some people really need to get over themselves and see the funny side of life. If anything, what people need in this day and age is to have a reason to smile. It'll solve more problems than you may think.

3 comments:

Michael Horvath said...

Reading your post I can entirely agree. I laugh more at my own expense than others. You have inspired a new blog for me to write so I better start getting ideas down! Thanks Brigid.

Brigid said...

Hey, no probs! Good to know you agree! It's good to have a laugh at yourself, I find people tend to like others who are able to do that!

IB said...

Good post, Brigid. The video seems harmless enough.The folks posting on youtube did seem to take it the wrong way which is actually more amusing than the video itself.

By the way, Thanks for following my blog!

IB

http://idiotsstew.blogspot.com